Wednesday, June 04, 2008
Different Sorts of Baptisms
Not this last Friday, but the Friday before that, there was a baptism service. Though at said baptism service there was a suspicious lack of water in a tank. Now there is a tank outside that they use for full immersion baptisms, but it was not being used this Friday. Instead they had a whole bunch of confirmations (they are RCA after all) and then they had 3 'pouring' baptisms. What the actual theological word is for that one... I can't remember, forgive me Dr. Randal. I think its aspersion for some reason... Anyways, suffice to say, it was slightly different then what I was used to. Though that is what happens at the ELC. It is because it is so inter-denominational. When you only have a limited amount of churches in Bahrain, an even more limited number of 'offical' churches, and then more limited still of English speaking congregations (then keep on narrowing it down with your location, and preference of worship style and all of that), you can see that your choices in church get rather small. So they do it all at the NEC\ECL. Apparently soon there is going to be 'proper' baptisms (you can see which way I lean) in a service this month I think. So it will be interesting to see how it is done outside, with the lack of standing space and all of that. But this lack of denominations, it works out quite well, I have not found out about anyone really having a problem with it. I mean the Catholics have their own church just down the road, but other then that, it seems to work out quite well. This really could serve as a prod to our own country in how we have a tendency to fragment all over the place. Rather silly when you get down to it. Though I think this has lead to a more unified Christian thinking here. It seems to be on so many peoples minds. They see the 100 odd 'churches' in Bahrain and want to work towards bringing them all together in some form. It is a passion that they have. This R11 group is a group that is working towards just that. It is quite exciting to see this unity thinking going on. Definitely something that we can learn from. Perhaps this comes from the knowledge that they are a minority religious group and want to gather together, for there is greater strength in greater numbers. Though perhaps (and more likely) it is the work of the Holy Spirit that is moving and wanting to bring together the churches, just as it has always supposed to be. You can read and see how the apostle Paul really wanted to make sure that the Jewish and Gentile churches didn't fracture apart. Unfortunately we haven't followed his example. While the culture and situation of Christians must play some role in this movement, I also think that it is being used by the Holy Spirit and He is magnifying it greatly, as only He can. Though this is not to say that all churches are in agreement. I hear of all the regular church politics and the games that are played and that status that is wanted. Ugg. Apparently you can't get away from it. Though it is so encouraging to see the unity that is happening because it is something that needs to spread over the world. Not a unity that brushes important issues aside but one that wants to see all Christians brought together in some form so that they can all worship their same Lord together. They pray for revival in Bahrain. With their passion for unity and passion for Jesus, it just may well happen. How exciting is that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment