Sunday, June 15, 2008
An Opportunityto See life differently
So when I was first shown where I would be living for the next two weeks, I'll admit, I was not too pleased. A small little room without cooking or laundry facilities. Though I do believe that God has nudged me and told me that this will be a great learning experience for me. First, I have always said that we in North America really don't realize how much space we need to live. We have these giant houses and all this room, and it gets a little ridiculous (suburbia has gotten just offensive). After sleeping on it, I've realized that this room will fine for my living needs. I have room for my clothes, a place to sleep, a place for hygiene... I can be comfortable there. I have found a place to do laundry; Pastor Westra's house, but that is only because I don't know if there is a laundry mat anywhere. As for food, yes it would be nice to have my own food making place, and thats one thing I do wish that I had, but this will make me explore this community and possibly meet people as I look for places to eat. But even if I were to have a place to eat in that guest room, it would only increase the square footage slightly, which would still leave the total space far below that of your standard North American living arrangement. It is simple and that is fine. Simplicity is something that we are sorely missing in our lives I do believe and I think it will be nice to learn about it. I was at that labour camp not too long ago and those men live in areas smaller then I am, and all spaces are shared pretty well. So what I have is luxurious in their eyes. We have gotten used to a standard of living that has left us unaware what our actual needs are. I do think these next two weeks will be a learning time, as I find out how much one really needs to survive. That and a time of intestinal testing as I'll be trying out some of the eating places around here. (I think you'll be hearing about this soon as I have more time to experience it and think about this topic)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment