Monday, July 07, 2008
Meals
As I grew up there was something that we always did as a family. We always had at least one sit down together meal a day. It was great, there was always at least one point during the day when you could touch base with everyone else in the family, find out what everyone was doing and so forth. One thing Funmi mentioned to me one time (I seem to be talking about the Igaharo's a lot today... guess I miss them) was that in African families they really don't have sit-down meals together, "not like you white people" (her words, it made me laugh to hear that). Its more of a case where there is just food around and you come get it and eat whenever. And that certainly was how things were done in that household. I guess its just another way of doing things, but I'm glad we had the sit down meals at home... though they did have that family time, just at a different time. They would all meet together before everyone headed off to work or school and sing songs together in the morning and then a few would pray. Though there was no time of sharing what was going on with them, it was still a family time together and a good family time (they invited me to join them, and I did). So there are various ways of doing things, and its the whole not wrong but different thing. Though then its up to all of us to pick an choose the ways that we would like to do things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That was one thing I always admired about your family... their dedication to having a meal together. I didn't realize that was a cultural thing, though. Interesting! It's something I never really thought about and just assumed most families, no matter where they're from, did it.
Shawna
Post a Comment